Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The journey begins...

Welp, I finally made it to the island safe and sound after 2 long days - and may I say it was a journey to get here. 
My trip began with a 2.5 hour flight from Miami to San Pedro Sula where I was oh so fortunate to sit next to a creepy guy on the plane. The ENTIR
E trip talked to me (in Spanish bc he didn't know English). Got his whole life story about his band, kids, how he like white woman and refers to his children's mother as "mi mujere" or in English "my woman". He persisted I ride with him after the plane trip instead of taking the bus - and I persisted that I didn't want a change of plans. Ha. 
Once I reached the airport I gathered my luggage and caught a taxi to the bus station (which again I had a driver who persisted I stay and hang out in San Pedro for a while). -As a side note: I'm thinkin if you have low self esteem just come to Central America bc I could have gone home with a few guys- 
Made it to the bus, bought my ticket and went on a 3 hour BEAUTIFUL bus trip through mountains, banana farms, pineapple farms and even some corn farms. Saw cows, horses, goats, pigs and many others. 
From the bus in La Ceiba it was cab time to the hostel Banana Republic Guesthouse where I paid $5 for a bed and good company sharing stories with others traveling from Canada and Oregon over a beer. 

The next morning I took a walk to town to exchange money and get some much needed coffee, walked around and headed to the ferry station. The seas were the worst experience ever that day. About 75% of ship got sea sick which led me to putting on my iPod and closing my eyes to avoid seeing and hearing vomit. 
Then arriving to Roatan after 2 hours of rocking my dad decided we would conquer the bad seas to get home (keep in mind there are no roads to my parents house). So in the dark with only moonlight there goes dad in I through 15' seas and 30 mph winds - not the smartest thing. It was like a hurricane and I thought I was gonna die - no exaggerations.


But...we made it safely and now I relax...

No comments: